Saturday, May 16, 2009

Is SCRUBS the sitcom version of Brett Favre?

I love the show scrubs. For a while, I thought it was the funniest show on tv. Its early seasons were excellent. When I come across the reruns, I almost always watch them.

But, its not what it used to be. It hasn’t been as funny or as good in the last few seasons. Every time Sarah Chalke attempts to act by tilting her head sideways with a seriously dramatic puzzled look, its almost disturbing.

Even the Dr. Cox stuff got old, and he’s a funny character. Some of his bits got so old that eventually the characters started mocking them. Kelso pointed out to him: “We get it Perry. You’re going to say a long list of funny things”. In fact, that was only one of many self referential jokes over the last couple seasons.

So, they started coming up with new types of jokes. In the 8th season, they introduced some new interns. The show never falls below decent, but it rarely achieves the greatness of its younger years. It has gotten goofier and goofier. The goofiness is occasionally interrupted by attempts at drama and serious TV.

So, when I heard that SCRUBS was ending after the eighth season, I was disappointed, but I couldn’t fault the decision. Its time to wrap it up. In fact, I got a little excited about the prospect of buying the entire series in a box set in a year or two; I have always said I’d be the first in line when the release that box set.

The 1 hour series finale was on last week. My optimistic acceptance of its ending was compromised by it being a great episode. The last few minutes were spectacular. They went out with a bang.

Over the last week, I read a rumor that they might continue the show with the interns and maybe some guest appearances from the main stars. Oh sure. That’ll work. Let’s recap successes of shows that tried to go on without its stars: X-FILES, AFTER MASH, THAT 70’S SHOW. Huh. That’s all I can think of. There must be more.

Then, just a few short moments ago, I read that Scrubs will probably be renewed, and most of the leads are signing back on. Some of them have other pilots pending; if the pilots get picked up, they’ll go to the new show. JD is signed for 6 episodes (supposedly).

Crap. I have mixed feelings on this. While a small part of me (lets say, my left thigh and perhaps part of an elbow) is looking forward to it, the rest of me would rather just move on.

To make it worse, it looks like they’re going to mess with the format. I have always appreciated that there was never a laugh-track or a studio audience. I’ve discussed this 2 times recently with different people. I typically don’t like other people laughing at a show I’m watching in an effort to get me to laugh. If its funny, I’ll laugh. If its not funny, I won’t laugh, and the laugh track will annoy me. I have a friend that really likes TWO AND A HALF MEN. Due to his praises, I’ve tried to watch it more than once. I find it not funny, and the fact that the audience (or laugh track) laughs at all of the non-funniness is distracting. An exception is “HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER”. Its not distracting there because I laugh at nearly every joke.

I’ll try to get back on point: I’ve always appreciated the no-fake laughing in Scrubs. I never realized it until today, but now I’m retrospectively appreciating that it was a one camera show. It always had a unique style about it; I suppose that’s why. Now, for season 9, they’re talking about trying a different format. Maybe multiple cameras. Maybe a studio audience. If I had to pick one or the other, i’d go with the multi-cameras. A laugh track that laughs at unfunny jokes will be disrespectful to years of funny jokes. It will cheapen the experience.

So, which way should I go on this. Do I want them to renew it or not? Fortunately, there’s no need for me to figure it out because whatever is going to happen will happen regardless of my opinion. If it comes back, I will watch it and hope for the best. If they don’t, then I’ll eagerly await the day that I can buy the complete series on DVD.

No comments: