Sunday, July 08, 2007

DVDFriend.US update

The new super-crappy version of the site is online at http://www.dvdfriend.us. As you'll see, there's almost nothing there other than basic page layout. I have written most of the conversion program to import data from the old site. I expect to run it in production this week.

The old site ran against a shared SQL 2000 database. I lost that when I moved to GoDaddy.com. Fortunately, our good friends at Microsoft provide SQL SERVER 2005 express for free. For at least my immediate purposes, that's sufficient.

I went through some of the pages and cleaned them up a bit. I just did some minor things, such as setting the focus on the first logical control when the page loads.

I'm relying on asp.net for security more than I ever have before. As described earlier, I'm using the login controls that ship with it. Now, I'm also using directory security to force login before accessing particular pages. Previously, I prefered to this on my own.

I'll keep picking away at it. After the conversion (users, products, reviews), I'll get to work on repopulating the images. Then, I'll move on to the pricing engine. At the same time, I'm trying to enlist gina's help to make the site look less hideous.

No comments: