Sunday, May 25, 2008

Diva Duck

Today, in an effort to get out of the house, Gina and I did the "Diva Duck" tour of West Palm Beach. The Diva Duck is a truck and a boat all in one. Boston has them too. So does Alaska.

The tour is based at City Place in West Palm Beach. We've seen it a bunch of times, but never did the tour before. It turns out that "tour" is a pretty inaccurate term. Its fun, but its really just a ride. They point out the houses of rich people and make up some numbers as they go. "5 or 10 years ago, they rebuilt that boat." Which was it? 5 years ago or 10 years ago?

The fact that they had no idea didn't really detract from the fun. There were a bunch of kids on board, most of which got a kick out of it. The non-tour guide was friendly enough. There were a lot of duck puns. The funniest part was the blaring war music as we went from land to sea.

As usual, I got a little motion sick on the boat. It wasn't too bad... just enough to remind me that I'm a big wuss when it comes to unstable motion.

I went on a whale watch with my company probably 10 years ago. I spent most of the time keeled over until my boss found some dramamine for me. I went sky diving twice. I didn't get phsyically sick either time, but boy... it was close (especially the first time). I can do roller coasters fine, but I keep away from most other rides.

Then, of course, there's the world famouse "Great Helicopter Hurl of 2002". That's actually a funny story, in my humble opinion. I shall elborate if demand requests it.

Anyway, we finsihed the Diva Duck Non-Tour, then went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. Then we went home. Good times.

There were a bunch of "red had ladies" on the tour. I don't know if that's their actual name or not, but they are all female and they were all wearing distinct red hats. I've never seen that before, other than on the Simpsons. The simpsons had pink had ladies, I think. They turned out to be a bunch of thieves incognito. Now I see that they were probably basing that on the Red Hat Ladies, though I had no idea that such a thing existed when I saw the episode.

How terribly exciting.

6 comments:

Troy said...

They're actually called the Red Hat Society...just an excuse for bitter old women to get together and complain.

Anonymous said...

Not one of the houses on this "tour" are true. The "Diva" of the duck made it all up. I hope there isn't an electrical storm if you go, they will not refund.

Anonymous said...

The Diva Duck is a rip off. The gal (owner) that sells tickets was rude! She has no personality and then...she was giving the tour on the boat. The jokes were dumb, music was dumb. The driver (husband, boyfriend - who knows) never said a word. He never helped anyone off the boat,just stood there. And the worst of it all, LIES! The houses she pointed out were not owned by who she said...lie, and she pointed out a blue boat that she said was Tiger Woods' boat, named "Princess". LIE! Well, Tiger Woods' boat has a white hull and the name of it is "Privacy". Would it kill them to do a little research. I would NOT recommend Diva Duck, a rip-off for $25. Wish we never stepped foot on it, total waste of time!

Jay Allard said...

Yea, that's the general concensus. I agree, except it didn't bother me. Getting a bogus tour and a boat ride was worth $25 for me. I just consider it fiction.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous Grouch,

Most of the narration is factual, then there are some entertaining elements which are fiction. No one cares that a personal injury attorney owns this house, or that this house is owned by an insurance sales mogel. We do refund for bad weather and the Red Hat Ladies are a very fun and upbeat organization. Next time you are in Boston, why don't you do some research and see just how much of that tour is "entertainment"! Complaining is a sport and pass time for many. Too bad you have to dish those of us who are working hard and trying to give people in this City something fun to do.

Jay Allard said...

I don't agree with everything that grouch said, but as a consumer, he has the right to not like the tour and express his opinion about it.

The last poster, however, sounds as if he/she works for the company. That post is much worse. Rather than try to address the complaints, you insult the consumer and discard his opinion. You further discredit your company (if you actually work for them).

I had a fun trip, but it was lazy and bogus. Giving a margin of error on the age of a house by +/- 50% is a clear sign that you don't know what you're talking about, or just not interested enough to enlighten us with the actual facts.

I liked it despite its foolishness. The other guy didn't, and as a consumer, he doesn't have to state his reasons eloquently; he was just venting to the public, not filing a complaint with the company. As a representative of your company, you should've been professional. Instead, you were just rude and condescending.

I think I repeated myself a bunch of times, but you get the idea. Its a fun tour. Just don't expect accuracy or, it would seem, professionalism.