Tuesday, February 19, 2008

HD-DVD Really Dead - The Regret

It comes as no surprise that HDDVD is officially dead. Toshiba sent out the announcement this morning.

I'm actually ok with it. I would've preferred that HDDVD won, but I only chose HDDVD because I hate Sony.

I've been looking at Blu-Ray players, sporadically, for the last couple weeks. Yesterday, we went to Circuit City to see if there were any specials. (Their selection was abysmal, and we walked out a few seconds later). Then we went to Best Buy for the same reason, then BJs. That, combined with my online research and conversations with some unbiased folks, has led me to an unfortunate conclusion.

It looks like I have to buy a PS3. I haven't bought a SONY product since 1992. Whenever I've needed anything, it was easy to find a non-Sony choice. There have always been plenty of choices for VCRs, DVDs, TVs, Gaming Consoles, etc. There was never a good reason to violate the ban and buy Sony, nor did I ever want to.

But this is different. It seems that PS3 is the only logical choice for a BLU-RAY player. Not only is it BLU-RAY, but it is also a gaming console. I'm not willing to to spend 1 or 2 hundred dollars more for a lesser competing product.

I'm dissapointed about it because it violates a 16 year embargo, but that's the only reason I'm dissapointed. I don't feel like I'm selling out or giving up. Its just that in this unique case, its the smart thing to do. Unless Sony issues me an apology or a refund for the VCR that started this whole mess, then I will continue to avoid Sony products.

My wife bought a PSP a few months ago. Its obvious that she has absolutely no respect for the sanctity of marriage. The DS is a perfectly suitable alternative, yet she chose the PSP. She's an american and can make her own choices, but you can imagine not only the dissapointment, but the hurt, that this inflicted on our relationship. The PS3 is different because there is not a reasonable alternative.

So, its nearly certain that I will purchase a PS3 in the not so distant future. Its just a matter of determining the appropriate version, and finding one. Then the ugly deed will be done.

No comments: