Friday, February 08, 2008

They lost?!?

It's been almost a week. Its time to come clean.

Contrary to my previous post, the Patriots actually did lose the superbowl. I tried to justify it by stating that they won by -3. However, that actually makes it worse, because the giants won by +3, which means they won by 6 points more than the patriots won by. I guess its better to admit that they lost by 3.

I can say with all sincerity that Giants won it, and I'm sort-of happy for them. If 6 guys can't take down your quarterback, and your receiver can catch with his helmet, then gosh darn it, you deserve to win. That really was the play of the game... If they managed to either sack him or prevent the reception, I think the outcome would be different. But, that's what its about. They managed to do it, and the Patriots couldn't stop it.

A few weeks ago I stated that the Giants are my second favorite team. Sure, I'm presently aggravated with them, but my position holds. They came out in week 17 and went for the KO. Last week, they pulled it off.

Before the game, I read a quote somewhere from one of the patriots in the offensive line. It was something like: "If we do poor, they call us old. If we do well, they call us experienced." Well, this week you're old. Last year they got the big guns for the receivers. This year, I bet they get some younger guys up front. They held it off all season, but in the superbowl, they might as well have stepped aside.

You win some, you lose some. Its a crappy way to end the season, but there you go. The wife and I were just out with a couple friends, and another guy commented on a Red Sox logo. Then he proclaimed "18 and O!". I like that approach. We don't have to say 18-1, we can say 18-0 because, its accurate. They were 18-0. It reminds me of Jimmy Fallon's t-shirt in Fever Pitch: "Boston Red Sox - 1918 World Champions!"

I love it when the patriots win, but don't care too much when they lose. Does that make me a bad fan? When they lost AFC Championship last year, I thought "That's what you get for throwing 5 interceptions". This loss isn't as easily identifiable. "That's what you get for getting out played". It was harder to take because of what was on the line, but its time to move on.

The thing that bothers me the most is that this loss defies math. I thought for sure they were using the fibonnacci sequence to guide their destiny: Win a superbowl, miss the superbowl. Win two superbowls, miss two superbowls. Win three superbowls.... that's as far as I got. Unfortunately, this should have been the first win of three, so math has proven to be unreliable.

No comments: