Monday, May 03, 2010

Status of Tv Shows

 

I just read this article on Tv.com

http://www.tv.com/whats-been-renewed-whats-been-canceled-whats-left/story/22757.html?tag=hotspot;gumball;1

I’ll only comment on those that I have seen, which aren’t many.

Castle – RENEWED: It’s a decent show, but I don’t think it’s anything special. It’s kind of formulatic (Wilson is to House as Castles’s daughter is to Castle). I watch it, but not with any great interest. I wouldn’t be traumatized if it got cancelled, but it’s not, so it doesn’t matter.

Better Off Ted – LIMBO: I’ll be very disappointed if TED gets cancelled. It’s original, no laugh-track, great characters, and very funny every episode. I hope it is renewed.

Desperate Housewives – LIMBO, but likely to return: don’t care.

Flash Forward / V – LIMBO: The article says that one will probably survive. I’d vote for Flash Forward, which has been much better since the break. V is a big failure. What worked in the 80s doesn’t work today, not the same way. I still watch V, but if it were gone tomorrow, no loss. At least FAST FORWARD is getting better and is occasionally interesting.

Happy Town – too early to tell: I liked the first episode. I look forward to the second one.

Scrubs – Probably cancelled: I ranted on Scrubs last year. I made a joke to the affect of it being the Brett Favre of tv; every time you think it’s retired, it comes back. With that in mind, maybe it will return. Anyway, Scrubs was excellent for many years, then it started to be less funny and more ridiculous, but every episode is good for some laughs. The new version of it is weak, but I still enjoy it. However, I will completely understand if it gets cancelled. I’m looking forward to the day that I can buy the complete series for a reasonable price; the early seasons are classic funny.

How I Met Your Mother – Renewed: This show is great. It has a laugh track, which I hate, but the show is so funny that the laugh track is ok because I laugh with it. We haven’t seen most of this season due to DVR conflicts, but will catch up as we always do. I thoroughly enjoy everything about this show.

The Mentalist – Limbo, will probably be renewed: This is a good show, but not great. I’m trying to decide if I’d be disappointed when it gets canceled… I don’t think I would be. I think I’d just shrug it off. (Actually, if it gets cancelled, I’d really look forward to seeing how Psych reacts to it.)

Smallville – Renewed: Celebrating 10 years of mediocrity. We have watched this since day 1, and I’ve rarely enjoyed it since. Gina likes it, and I watch it just out of habit, and I guess when it ends (after at least 10 years), I would notice its absence. Clark’s been whining for 10 years. In 10 years he hasn’t figured out how to fly. Poor me… poor me… You’d think that the entire female cast would be a bunch of vegetables after the number of times they’ve been kidnapped and knocked out; repeated head trauma does have affects to which these people seem to be immune. I used to like the show because “every week he would do something cool”, but even the novelty of that has worn off. This show never committed; it’s just 10 years of Clark whining about his place in the universe. Man-up already.

Bones – Renewed: I like this more than Smallville. And, like Smallville, Gina likes it more than me. It’s pretty good, but it just barely registers over mediocrity. The characters are light hearted and fun, but then they show the most disturbing images of bodies. Every episode is a conflict like that. It’s like Charlie Brown stomping Lucy to death. I’ve been saying for years that Bones should be canceled when better shows have been, but no one listens, so it’s no surprise it’s back.

The Cleveland Show: Renewed: I watched the first three, and couldn’t take it any more. It lacked everything that makes Family Guy so great. Maybe I should check out some more recent episodes, now that it’s had time to get its footing.

Family Guy – Renewed: Pure genius, almost every episode. Enough said.

Fringe – Renewed: We watched the first several episodes, then lost interest. That was a regrettable mistake… I’ve wanted to start over, but it’s not on NETFLIX ON DEMAND yet. I’ll give this a second go.

Glee – Renewed: This isn’t my kind of show. I watched the first couple, though, and thought it was pretty good. Well written, etc. But, that appreciation only got me through a few episodes, then I called it quits. Everyone else seems to like it, though, so I’m glad it’s back for them.

The Simpsons – Renewed: Does it matter what anyone thinks about the Simpsons? I’m pretty sure that if it ever finally ends, it would trigger an event that would result in the end of the universe. It must live on!

24 – Done: No single season of tv will ever be better than season 1 of 24. But, it hasn’t lived up to it since. It’s has some good seasons and some bad seasons, and it has run it’s course and is time to end. The current season has been very good over the last few episodes. It’s exciting. I like 24 and will watch it as long as they make them, but it’s time to move on. (During season 3 or 4, i suggested that they should change the format of the show and just call it CTU; drop the real-time approach. The amount of things they do in 24 hours is pretty absurd; everyone is 14 seconds away from everyone else at any given time. This season’s most blatant abuse was the parole officer coming to visit at 2am; ridiculous.)

Dollhouse Canceled: – Second season was better than the first. I enjoyed it, and was sorry to see it go.

House – Limbo, but probably back: House is such a great show. Very few episodes are duds; i laugh a lot and I laugh hard. This show cannot die.

Human Target – LIMBO: I like it, but will understand if it gets canceled. I can imagine that Haley regrets signing a contract for a tv show now that his movie career is getting some momentum.

Lie to Me – LIMBO: Negligible. See ya.

30 Rock – RENEWED: Completely great. I’m always behind one season, though. I didn’t keep up with it so I have to wait for them to come to Netflix.

Community – RENEWED: I stopped watching it, but only because there was too much stuff on tv. Community was funny, and I’m glad it’s back.

The Office – RENEWED: This will go down in history as legendary comedy.

Parenthood – RENEWED: Watched a couple, and didn’t care for it. I’m surprised it’s renewed.

Parks and Recreation – RENEWED: See community; same comments here.

CHUCK – LIMBO: It’s a crying shame that Chuck has to fight for survival every season. Sooner or later, it will lose the battles, and I will be sad. Hopefully this is not the year. If you do not watch Chuck, please do. It’s the most clever thing on tv.

Trauma – LIMBO, but probably canceled: This was doomed from the beginning, which is too bad. I’ve kept up with it on HULU, and it’s good. I read that it’s too expensive to keep going, which is too bad. It’s good characters, and good stories. I’d like to see it get renewed, but it doesn’t look like it will. I haven’t become very attached because they’ve been proclaiming doom from the beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's very interesting article.
Like you we got a little bit bored with Fringe, but we kept watching it and I'm glad that we didn't stop. The show is better now.

I watch both Flash Forward and V. But if I have to pick one, Flash Forward would be a winner.

I wish to know what the plans for cable network shows like Dexter, True Blood, ...